Willoughby Hills Historical Society, Inc.
The Mission of the Willoughby Hills Historical Society is to discover and preserve the historic resources of Willoughby Hills and Willoughby Township, and to encourage a preservation ethic in our community.
The Willoughby Hills Historical Society was founded in March of 1988 and was certified as a
Not-For-Profit Corporation on May 23, 1988.
It collects, preserves and displays or otherwise provides for study as far as may be feasible of printed material, photographs, and material objects illustrative of life, conditions, events and activities of the past.
The Society meets on the fourth Wednesday of the odd numbered months in the lower level of the Community Building in the "Historical Society Room" and our newsletter, REFLECTIONS, listing our program for the meeting, is sent to our members the week before the meeting.
Individual memberships are $5/yr. or $100 for life membership. Family memberships are $7.50/yr. or $150 for life membership. Click here for membership application.
For more information or a membership application, contact Frank or Mary Cihula at (440) 946-5557 or e‑mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting/Program Schedule for 2015:
January 28, 2015, 7:00 PM Dale Fellows; “How the compromises of the Constitutional
Convention made the Civil War inevitable."
March 25, 2015, 7:00 PM Dr. Ronald Taddeo; "The Real Story of Willoughby"
updated. Note: The program change and the meeting
will be a joint meeting with Willoughby Historical Society
and will be in the Schaefer Room.
May 27, 2015, 7:00 PM LCHS: Barb Widden and Syndi Wooley; Genealogy,
writing your life's history. Information on "Ancestry.com"
and other sites.
September 23, 2015, 7:00 PM O’Ryan Room, joint meeting with W.H.S. & W.E. Library.
"Cleveland and the Western Reserve".
June 14, 2015, 1:00 to 5:00 PM James A. Garfield Elementary School Reunion.
Willoughby Hills Campbell Park, Eddy Rd. Pavillion.
For more information call Barbi 951-0434.
DID YOU KNOW? (posted 2-16-2015)
Unlike the rest of Ohio, which was divided into six square mile townships, the Western Reserve was surveyed into five square mile townships. In order to divide the land up as equitably as possible among the shareholders of the Connecticut Land Co., an equalizing committee was appointed in 1796. It chose six townships to be offered for sale to people that would settle in them and make improvements on the land. These six are now known as Madison, Mentor, Willoughby, Euclid, Newburgh, and Youngstown. Willoughby Township, the ninth township in the first range, was surveyed into lots and sold to individuals. In 1796, Charles S. Parker, a surveyor for the Connecticut Land Co., erected a house for the use of the Company. This was the first house built in the township and the county.
September 1990 Reflections Newsletter. All rights reserved.